Michael Smith at RoomLover

Friday, January 16, 2009

Michael Smith

Michael Smith living room.  Click to open website.
Michael S Smith Inc
Santa Monica, CA

www.michaelsmithinc.com

I learned today that Michael Smith has been chosen to decorate the White House living areas for Barack Obama and his family. Pretty thrilling. I came here to update my existing post for him, and realized he and many other designers are on my personal list, but I've never gotten around to adding them here. Let's remedy that for Michael Smith.

As I browse through the rooms in his portfolio, my first thought is that the chairs in these rooms look comfortable, and the beds. I imagine staying as a guest in some of these bedrooms.

The second feature that stands out to me is how often some large-pattern fabric, or work of art, draws my focus. I like that; I get tired of seeing rooms full of nothing but two-tone silhouette textiles and wallpapers.

Michael Smith living room.  Click to view larger image.
Michael Smith living room.  Click to view larger image.

Last year, I bought a bookcase similar to the one in the picture below. Smaller scale, but the same color wood, and two glass doors with knobs in the middle -- and because I can't figure out how to arrange anything all by myself, I went looking for pictures of similar things to pattern mine after, and this is what I landed on. So for that reason, I really like this picture.

Michael Smith living room.  Click to view larger image.

Smith has a couple of books available, too:






0 comments:

Post a Comment