Introduction at RoomLover

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Introduction

My name is Linda. I have a townhouse that I love, with a courtyard garden out back, and my 80 year old mother as a roommate. Life's okay.

Why this interior design blog? I started collecting books and magazines on interior design and decoration back in the early 80s. When the internet came along, I started collecting links to designer web sites as well.

My little sister got all the design talent in the family. She can start from scratch and make a beautiful room. She can visualize the room she wants to end up with, and then make it happen.

Me, I can't visualize at all. I have to see dozens of alternative solutions to the problem I need to solve, and then I can get creative. I spend hours browsing through photos of rooms, looking for very specific scenes. For example: "a reading chair in a corner with a floor lamp." Or, "an arrangement of a set of 5 pictures."

Over the last 6 years, I've searched and collected a long list of sites with good photography and rooms I like -- or even sometimes rooms I don't like, but that provide good examples of something I might be looking for later. Finding sites with pictures of rooms has been harder than you'd think. There are a lot of designers and architects out there, with well-photographed sites, but they aren't always referenced in directories.

I started this blog because I figured my lists are worth sharing. I worry a little that my taste is old-fashioned, and that I'm omitting designers someone else might wish I'd include, but I'll see how it goes.