Tom Scheerer at RoomLover

Friday, December 26, 2008

Tom Scheerer

Tom Scheerer living room.  Click to open website.
Tom Scheerer Inc.
New York, NY

www.tomscheerer.com

My notes, taken during a tour of Tom Scheerer's portfolio:

Well, the very first photo is an arrangement of pictures in a style that I like -- meaning under glass, thinly framed, with white or off-white matting. It's a look I like in my own home, and so I always respond to it.

The surfaces are crowded -- not super-crowded, but you know, they have stuff on them. Surfaces look like they're in use. There's a collection of hats; are there other collections? Well, collections of ceramics, collections of small plants, miniature cactus, not sure what those are…. Is this just masses of things? A collection of hurricane candles. There's a collection of birds, paintings of birds.

In fact, there are a lot of paintings of natural items here. I want to say, it's that all of the framed art is a study of something. Not saying that they're all still lives, or anything like that. Just that the art is studious.

Colors are -- it's that the colors are all over the place. Is any color out of bounds? Black maybe. No, there's a room with black walls; it's not out of bounds at all. Okay, this designer is comfortable with neutrals, comfortable with color, with antiques and mid-century. I see a couple of draped beds. Are all the beds draped? No, there's a pair of twin beds, a couple of pairs. I see that done a couple of times. Yeah, I am going to say draped beds, or if nothing else, beds that are capable of being draped. Substantial beds.

Tom Scheerer entry.  Click to view larger image.
Tom Scheerer dining room.  Click to view larger image.

Chandeliers -- there are a couple of fairly traditional chandeliers mixed. Wood tones, could you say anything on that? I think you could say not all the furniture is made out of wood. The furniture is made out of lots of different things: glass, wood, plastic, metal, bent wood. Furniture pieces with textured surfaces. And the mixing is important. The furniture is not just wood and upholstery. The rooms look like diverse furnishings have come to a party -- it looks good.

The prints: There's solids, two-tone print, three colors together, a three-tone print, we're talking about multi-colored prints here. Two or three-tone prints, perhaps multiple of those in a room. We're talking about white -- not just the walls, but white furniture -- which I always feel is significant because given my own tastes, I always feel that a white piece of furniture has no place in my own home, so when I see someone that's using white I notice it. It says something to me about modern-ness.

There's a lot here I like. The studious art, and the mix of materials, are at the top of the list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment