Laura Kirar at RoomLover

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Laura Kirar

Laura Kirar living room.  Click to open website.
TRU Design
New York, NY

www.trudesign.com

My first impression is that in all the photos, the lighting is important. The wall sconces, or the ceiling fixtures, or the table lamps, are in focus in every single picture. And I don't know if that's a reflection on the designer herself, or a reflection on her interior photographer. I think it has to be both, a little bit. You imagine someone saying yes, the rooms are nice, but my God, look at the lighting. It's like lamps with rooms around them. And the rooms are nice too.

So what about the design? How would I characterize this designer? Solid colors, newness, straight lines, straight edges, rectangles. The only real softness here is from a couple of upholstered pieces with button-tufting. I see bentwood in two different homes. Dark woods? No, not exclusively.




There are single pieces of art -- large pieces. By no means pictures hanging everywhere. Surfaces are almost empty. No clutter. A bowl, a vase of flowers. Small stuff. A stack of books. It is hard for me to imagine people living in these rooms.

Pillows are in solid colors and stripes. The overall look is contemporary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment